It’s official, the Rolls-Royce Spirit of Innovation is the world’s fastest all-electric aircraft after hitting a maximum speed of 387.4 mph during one of its record-breaking runs, as certified by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI). It’s powered by a 400kW (500+ hp) electric powertrain that draws power from the most power-dense propulsion battery pack ever assembled in aerospace. Read more for a video, additional pictures and information.
Rolls-Royce collaborated with aviation energy storage specialist Electroflight and automotive powertrain supplier YASA to make the electric powertrain a reality. The data collected from this project project, along with the world record runs, will help the company develop future electric power / propulsion systems for all-electric urban air mobility as well as hybrid-electric commuter aircraft.
- PILOTED FLIGHT – Grab a sheet of paper, fold it, and go! Instantly put yourself in the cockpit of an amazing smartphone controlled paper airplane that does high speed tricks. The bluetooth module, which includes autopilot control, connects to your phone so you can experience the sensation of flying countless paper, foam, and even Balsa Wood airplane models.
- INCREDIBLE STABILITY – Loops, Barrel Rolls, & Hammerheads are achieved with the special Acro Mode! Your paper plane’s onboard computer automatically calibrates your paper airplane for imperfect weather with a built-in launch assist and wind stabilizer. Now hobbyists, tinkerers, or students can become the flight controller!
- RAPID CHARGING – A 30 minute quick charge gives you 10 minutes of flight time along with an incredible range of up to 230ft! Traveling up to 20mph, your plane will spend less time on the tarmac and more time in the air. Simply connect the included micro USB cable to a charging port and plot out your next journey.
- STEM READY – Experience the aerodynamic forces that make flight possible through various wing configurations. Lift, drag, thrust, and gravity are learned first hand. Purchase the Night-Flight Kit and Accessory Kit to see how different parts create a new experience. Great for an outdoor class or exploration together with family.
- DURABLE – A near indestructible heavy duty carbon fiber body includes a nylon reinforced nose and motor mount. The POWERUP 4.0 paper airplane set is designed to withstand bumps, bangs, and even an unexpected crash. If your paper plane flies out of range, the onboard computer will safely land itself! Includes a one year warranty.
Staking the claim for the all-electric world-speed record is a fantastic achievement for the ACCEL team and Rolls-Royce. I would like to thank our partners and especially Electroflight for their collaboration in achieving this pioneering breakthrough. The advanced battery and propulsion technology developed for this program has exciting applications for the Advanced Air Mobility market. Following the world’s focus on the need for action at COP26, this is another milestone that will help make ‘jet zero’ a reality and supports our ambitions to deliver the technology breakthroughs society needs to de-carbonize transport across air, land and sea,” said Warren East, CEO, Rolls-Royce.